28 August, 2012

Poppies with Courtney


Good afternoon y'all!

It's been a while since my last post, but don't worry, I haven't forgotten! My friend Courtney was visiting from out of town for the last 6 days, so I've been spending lots of time with her; lots of sun and lots of pool time! While she was here we also went to Whimsy Art Studio for a painting class and had a blast! We went for the Poppies session and it was so much fun. You can see the paintings we did above. I love doing these type of wine with painting classes because you don't paint alone. When I'm alone in my own painting space, the way I go about painting is very different than when I'm socializing with others in a class and enjoying a glass of wine (not that I can't enjoy wine in my own painting space). The class and socializing frees me up and I paint more fluidly and freely. I don't have to agonize about the technique I must use to produce the results I'm looking for. In the class, I just follow the instructor's tutorial, relax and let go. It's nice too that I can add my own flare to the painting if I want to :) I've done classes like this 3 times now and I love it! It's a great date or double date night and also girls night!

I've noticed this new trend in painting where people can go to tutorial classes and drink the wine they bring. The first time I had this experience was at Painting with a Twist, and Whimsy Art Studio is the second place I've visited. I have also noticed another location in San Antonio called Vino van Gogh and want to check this place out too. Maybe I'll do a date night with my husband at Vino van Gogh in the near future. This location is the closest to where we live, so it's a lot more convenient. I'm sure there are more studios that offer this painting class where you can bring your own wine, but these are the 3 I know of. If you think this is something you might want to do, I highly recommend looking for one in your area. It's so fun! And if you go with your boy/girl-friend, friend(s), or your spouse, you guys can have matching paintings!

The way these places usually work is they have a calender with different paintings you can do. Each day is a different painting and they rotate each month I think. You sign up and pay for a class for one evening to do one painting.. You can do this alone but usually people sign up in duos or groups. Each class lasts about 2 hours.You may bring wine (or other beer or soda if you prefer for some places) and drink that while you paint. The instructor will walk you through each step of the painting and the whole experience is very relaxing.

At Whimsy Art Studio, I learned that the instructor is an attorney and paints as a hobby. She decided to open up a wine and painting class studio and rocked it. She's only been open for 2 months, but it looks like she's doing great. I was so excited to hear that because I want to earn a law degree but I also want to paint, so there is hope for me yet!

So that's my latest art adventure. I hope you enjoyed reading about it :) Until next time...

<3 Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment