20 August, 2012

Giclee (zhee-klay) Prints

Good afternoon everyone!

Today I want to share with you all some of my recent research. Ever since I completed the painting of the girl with the dragon, I have been trying to figure out the best way to reproduce it. If you have read the post and/or seen the video, you know that I didn't draw it. My friend Andi drew it out and asked me to paint it for him. I wanted to give him the original and keep a copy for myself, but he's insisting that I keep the original and give him the copy. In either case, I wouldn't want either one of us to have a copy that won't last and isn't of good quality.

So I have been researching different methods of fine art prints. So far the one I have decided to use is called giclee (zhee-klay) printing. Giclee is a french word meaning "to squirt or spurt" which describes the method of putting color on paper/canvas that is characteristic of this giclee printing. Images are generated from high resolution digital scans and printed with archival quality inks onto various surfaces including canvas, fine art, and photo-base paper. The giclee printing process provides better color accuracy and archival quality than other means of reproduction.

To learn more about giclee prints, you can definitely do a search, or click on the following links:
 http://www.dpandi.com/giclee/
http://www.gicleeprint.net/abtGclee.shtm

There are various sites that offer this service but they all involve me shipping the painting to their company for scanning. I don't want to ship my painting out because you never know what happens once it leaves your possession right? Some sites have the option of me taking a picture of the painting and e-mailing that to them. The problem with this option is that I can't know for sure that the colors would turn out exactly the way it's supposed to. With that in mind, I have been looking for a local place that does giclee prints. This puts me at ease because I can bring the painting in and take it home with me, and I can pick up the print rather than having it shipped. I love online shopping and shipping but there are certain things that I would rather not go through the shipping process.

So, that's where I am at in my search. I'll definitely give an update once I find a local place and go through with it.

In the meanwhile, have a wonderful start to the week :)

<3 Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment