27 July, 2012

About Me



Hello everyone! Thanks so much for visiting my little space in cyber-land.

I love artsy and crafty things! I've always liked drawing and painting but never had the opportunity to experiment and actually do anything until high school. My high school has a comprehensive program where students could opt in for what's called an International Baccalaureate diploma. In this program there are certain courses and a number of subjects you must take. I chose IB art as one of my electives, and I loved it so much that I tested for it in advanced category instead of standard.

My time in IB art was such a learning experience to me. There were lots of successes paired with failures, but that's how it goes. I found that I love researching, painting, and experimenting with different mediums and styles. My knowledge, approach and perspective evolved over time, and somewhere towards the end of the program, I found that my subject matter revolved around babies. This is most likely influenced by my beloved baby sister, who was always at my side.I even took her to tennis practice sometimes =D

In college, my focus was all in classes, tennis, organizations on campus and also work. I always wanted to paint, but with everything going on, painting just took too much time. I could squeeze a drawing in here and there, but not really painting. The one time I actually got to painting, I was so rushed and pressed for time that I wasn't fully satisfied with my piece. It was pretty natural that my interests shifted to photography, since I could take pictures way faster than waiting for paint to dry. Literally! So I took a photography class offered an my university, loved it and my aunt gifted me with a fancy DSLR for practice. I have a friend who is very passionate about photography and we actually teamed up to do a photography business proposal competition. That was so much fun that we actually did a couple wedding shoots together, with me as his assistant. But I still wanted to draw and paint! So, during my senior year of college, I took an intro to drawing class. In IB art, the curriculum was what you make of it. We had mandatory projects and pieces to produce, but what we wanted to learn we sought out. So I never had formal guidance on drawing specifically. This drawing class taught me so much and I realized I love art way too much to let it slip away.

Now, I am married to my wonderful and supportive husband, Patrick (aka "Sugar Patty" or "Patty Cakes"). Woohoo! Proud army wife! After our wedding, we've moved to San Antonio and are schedule to move again soon! Needless to say, no one wants to hire someone to train only for them to quit soon. But on a positive note, I have the time and means to pursue my art! Yay! My super supportive husband has definitely invested in my supplies and art space. This is so great and important to me because I have my station set up. I can have breakfast and walk over to my area and start painting if I wanted to because everything is there! In addition to drawing and painting supplies, he's also invested in my supplies for my crafty projects, like card making. Isn't he wonderful? Thanks babe!

With that said, I want to thank you again for investing some of your precious time here! I hope you like what you see, and believe me, I plan on showing lots of fun things!

<3 Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment