29 October, 2012

Happy Birthday Bob Ross!

Happy Monday everyone!


"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" - Bob Ross

Google did a doodle today for Bob Ross's birthday and I was so excited to see it. He was had an influence in pushing me to paint, although it wasn't quite apparent at the time. I didn't speak English yet so the only thing I understood from the show was how beautiful colors could transform a blank canvas into a beautiful scene. That with his pleasant and clam demeanor made his show one that I watched frequently after school on PBS.


A friend of mine from college is also a big fan of Bob Ross and his techniques, so I'm sure he appreciates what Google did.

If you don't know who Bob Ross is, look him up, I highly recommend it. In short he is a contemporary oil painter known for hosting the show "The Joy of Painting" on PBS and from then became an instructor for many, published instructional books and sold a line of art supplies. He always set a very pleasant, calm and happy mood for his show and made tons of "happy little trees".

His techniques consist primarily of the wet-on-wet technique where you build layers of oil paint on each other without waiting a lengthy time for the preceding layer to dry first. The techniques he demonstrated were relatively simple, yet effective in creating beautiful scenery with gorgeous mountains, lakes, trees, rivers and sometimes cute little creatures.

Anyway, I hope that was a good treat to start your Monday. Tell me what you think about Bob Ross and if you've ever seen his show back in the day or even reruns of today :)

Take care!

<3 Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment